Contact/Imprint | deutsch

The Saxony-Anhalt Museum Association

Museums Saxony-Anhalt

Picture Gallery of Anhalt Dessau

Dessau-Roßlau

Schloss Georgium Balthasar von der Ast Lukas Cranach der Ältere

WERTS_uk_ls_ENDW

Palace Georgium is located in charmingly landscaped park only 5 minutes way from the main train station. The foundation of the "Anhalt Picture Gallery" - established in 1927 by the Free State of Anhalt - consists of valuable paintings from private collections of a few members of the Houses of Orange (Oranien) and Askanien. Through inheritance, the rare Treasures of the Dutch and Flemish Masters reached Dessau; later paintings of old German and old Dutch masters, paintings from the time of Dürer as well as Frankfurt painters of the time of Goethe were added. The areas German Masters of the 16th to 19th Century as well as Views from Dessau and Anhalt complete this independent exhibition.
Among the significant collection there is the graphic collection of precious drawings of German, Swiss and Dutch Masters and among them as well the almost complete printing graphic work of Albrecht Dürer.
Special exhibitions are presented, since 1998, in the restored Orangery of the castle. In the former stables there is a museum restaurant for about eighty visitors.