Contact/Imprint | deutsch

The Saxony-Anhalt Museum Association

Museums Saxony-Anhalt

Gustav-Adolf-Memorial

Lützen

Gedenkstätte

WERTS_uk_ls_ENDW

Up until the 19th century, the only local reference to the terrible event of the death of King Gustav Adolf at the Battle of Lützen (1632) was a stone marking where his body was found. Two hundred years after the battle, when the king was celebrated with a large memorial service, discussions arose to pinnacle the stone. In 1837, the cast-iron canopy designed by the master builder Karl Friedrich von Schinkel was finally dedicated. A reported thirty-thousand people attended the ceremony. The Swedish Consul Oscar Ekman instigated the erection of the memorial chapel: in 1907, after only one year of construction, the chapel was consecrated. Particularly noteworthy is the roof of the chapel, which is modeled after a bottom-up Viking ship and made of Swedish pinewood. Two Swedish wooden houses (1932/1982) from the region of Dalarna round out the memorial site. The Gustav Adolf Memorial is located at the town entrance of Lützen, when coming from Leipzig.