Contact/Imprint | deutsch

The Saxony-Anhalt Museum Association

Museums Saxony-Anhalt

Museum Palace Neu-Augustusburg


Schloss Blick in die Ausstellung Stelzsandalen für Damen

The museum at Weißenfels was established in the year 1910 by the "Verein für Natur- und Altertumskunde" (Association for Nature and the Science of History) and is located in the palace "Schloß Neu-Augustusburg" since 1965.
The museum became well known due to its extensive shoe collection, which features shoes from antiquity to the present day. The exhibitions display the development of shoe production from the 15th century to today's modern production methods as well as folkloristic footwear from four continents. The permanent exhibition is supplemented by changing exhibits about the history of the town and about arts and crafts and art in general.
The museum possesses a significant collection of Vivat volumes (1700-1900); it holds the early works of the painter Max Lingner, iron art of the 19th and 20th century as well as autographs and first edition prints of important poets and musicians from Weißenfels (e.g. Schütz, Neumeister, Novalis, Seume).
The palace chapel from the early Baroque and a hall complex with magnificent stucco decorations are independent objects of a guided tour.
A special section is dedicated to the Duchy of Sachsen-Weißenfels and its significant courtly lifestyle.

Sammlungen bei museum-digital