Contact/Imprint | deutsch

The Saxony-Anhalt Museum Association

Museums Saxony-Anhalt

Optical Telegraph Station Neuwegersleben

Am Grossen Bruch

Hinweisschild Aussenansicht Stationsraum Telegrafenstation Neuwegersleben

WERTS_uk_ls_ENDW

In Prussia from 1832/33 to 1849/52, a semaphore technology involving optical mechanics was used to send governmental and military messages between Berlin and Koblenz, the Prussian administrative seat in Rhineland. To do so, signalling equipment with six individually pivoting blades was erected on already existing buildings (such as churches and castle towers) as well as on specially constructed functional buildings. Predetermined blade positions were assigned specific meanings, which could then be later conveyed.
Of the total of 62 stations, 11 were located in the territory of today's Saxony-Anhalt (numbers 19 to 20). Some of these stations are identified by a standardised brown sign (see illustration).
Former stations that still stand include, among others, the St John's Church in Magdeburg, the castle in Ampfurth and the reconstructed telegraph station in Neuwegersleben. The reconstruction included the development of functioning telegraph installation, augmented by a museum on the history and technology of the optical telegraph. Among others things on display are a faithfully reconstructed telescope and telegrapher uniforms, as well as a stamp collection and "literary treasures". Furthermore, a video presentation vividly explains the daily activities of telegraphers.

History is presented in a "hands-on" manner. Visitors are allowed to take on the role of telegrapher and set messages as well as use the telescope to watch the counter station.